Friday 27 November 2020

Q#134 - October to November 2020


Please note that the zip file has a password: QCOMPS.BLOGSPOT  
 Download mix from http://www.mediafire.com/file/szzgizr425oflj3/Q#134.zip/file

(not that the Fruit Bats song is not on Spotify)

Spotify link at end of notes, follow/subscribe to playlists here


Q's Compilations

Vol #134 – October to November 2020

 

Happy… lame duck season? Whilst a delusional child is still residing in the white house, there is comfort that Joe Biden ultimately won the election by a handsome margin by any metric, and this is actually the first time in 19 years that something I voted on actually went the way I wanted it to! Anyway, we’re probably in for a rough end to the year with the pandemic so please stay safe. This mix consists of mostly new music but also a few golden oldies and things that were inspired by my concert-going-otd-archives.

 

01) Jonathan Fitoussi – Oceans: Whilst browsing Bandcamp a few weeks ago an article about “best new ambient music” was on the homepage, and while I’d have loved to be able to buy the vinyl, it doesn’t seem like it’s available here so I paid for the download. I’m a sucker for analog and modular synths and his record Plein Soleil is about as classic as can get.

 

02) Lael Neale – Every Star Shivers in the Dark: Recently signed to Sub Pop who will release her upcoming album presumably next year, so far there have been two promotional singles, this tune and For No-One Now. Both songs are a bit of a departure from her sultry country-tinged debut I’ll Be Your Man from 2015 and while this song might come across as bleak to some, I find it comforting and beautiful.  

 

03) Porcupine Tree – Sleep of No Dreaming: Going through my concert spreadsheet, I noticed that I’d seen Porcupine Tree in October/November five times, so they wormed their way into the mix. Of the dozen times I saw them, I never got to hear this song live, though it was on the setlist and not played one time… I just felt like this tune flowed well between tracks. From one of their best efforts, 1996’s Signify.

 

04) Besnard Lakes – Raindrops: Another OTD mention, one of the great by-products of going through my concert spreadsheet by day is thinking about bands I otherwise hadn’t thought of for a while, and even more gratifying when it just so happens that the act in question has just put out some new music. The band will put out their first album in five years in 2021, called The Besnard Lakes Are the Last of the Great Thunderstorm Warnings, and this is the lead single, which has all their classic elements.

 

05) Supercrush – Get It Right: I can’t resist power-pop, there’s just something irresistible about sugar-filled guitars and harmonies. Supercrush have been releasing 7” singles for a number of years now and they finally put together a full-length called SODO Pop that came out in October via Don Giovanni Records and the whole thing is hit after hit like this.

 

06) Beach Bunny – Dream Boy: If there’s a band I’ve been obsessed with in the last few months it’s Beach Bunny. Debut album Honeymoon came out back in February and I have basically played nothing else since I heard this track at the start of October.

 

07) The Posies – Sideways: The band’s first song since 2016 with a new album to come in 2021, every new Posies tune is a gift and there’s little to say other than this has their signature sound.

 

08) Teenage Fanclub – Home: Speaking of bands with new music, who also last put out a record in 2016, hitting their signature sound… yep it’s Teenage Fanclub. Endless Arcade will come out in March and this is the lead single. As someone who has reconciled to not getting home to see friends and family this year, this song has more than a tinge of sadness to it. “I sometimes wonder if I’ll ever be home again, I just don’t know when I’ll open that door again”

 

09) Riff Doctors – Say Goodbye: Captured Tracks just put out a compilation titled Strum & Thrum: the American Jangle Underground 1983-1987, and all you should need to know is in the title! Considering this is fully in my wheelhouse, I didn’t know most of the acts across the double-record, which I guess speaks volumes to the experts at Captured Tracks.

 

10) Seam – Halo Redux: Speaking of hidden gems of yesteryear, Seam were active between 1991-2000, fronted by Bitch Magnet’s Sooyoung Park, and I have to confess I only came across them recently while I was thinking about being lucky enough to see Bitch Magnet a few years ago. This track is on the band’s third album, Are You Driving Me Crazy?

 

11) Fruit Bats – Disarm: There seems to be a lot of covers that have cropped up during the pandemic, or maybe it just feels that way. Anyway, Fruit Bats covered the entire Smashing Pumpkins album Siamese Dream, but you could only get the whole thing on vinyl, and hence a late night drunken purchase was made. It’s a pretty good low-key rendition of the album!

 

12) Fleet Foxes – A Long Way Past the Past: I loved Fleet Foxes’ debut album back in 2008 and could barely stop listening to it, felt like 2011’s Helplessness Blues was pleasant and enjoyed it at the time, but only listened a handful of times, then aside from the odd listen again to the debut, I didn’t think of them much (and possibly didn’t know 2017’s Crack Up ever existed), but I instantly enjoyed new album Shore, that just came out at the end of September. It’s possible it ends up being another Helplessness Blues in that I may not listen to it again but it was exactly what I wanted to hear when it came out.

 

13) The Flaming Lips – Flowers of Neptune 6: The Flaming Lips could do little wrong for me in their discography between 1990 – 2009, which is quite an achievement in its own right, they had been releasing decent records since then but nothing that quite captured the magic, this year they released American Head, I’m not even sure what number record this is in the discography, wiki claims 16 but that doesn’t seem right… anyway, it’s a little more together, for want of a better word, than recent records. 

 

14) Julia Jacklin – To Perth, Before the Border Closes: Crushing was one of my favourite records of 2019, and she’s released a couple of delightful singles in 2020, with this tune being the latest.

 

15) Cool Ghouls – Sundial: Another “oh I should see what they’re up to now” moment when going over my concert spreadsheet, I saw this California psych-pop band a couple of times in 2015 and loved them but had missed a couple of releases in the ensuing years. This song is from their 2016 album Animal Races, West Coast jangle doesn’t get much better.

 

16) The Appleseed Cast – Cathedral Rings: During the first Bandcamp Friday I purchased a few records by The Appleseed Cast as I’ve always loved seeing them live but didn’t really know their recorded output much, it’s been gratifying to rectify that even though I’m still missing a lot. This song instantly jumped out as one I’d heard live a handful of times.

 

17) Hypnotic Kingdom – Would You Be There For Me?: A concert-spreadsheet-adjacent act, I’ve seen British heavy-shoegaze act Cheatahs a couple of times, they last released a record in 2015 but while trying to find what they’re up to currently, it turned out that one of the band vocalist/guitarist Nathan Hewitt released a solo album under the moniker of Hypnotic Kingdom in 2018, this is the title track.

 

18) bdrmm – Is That What You Wanted to Hear?: A few “best of 2020” lists have started coming out, I think Rough Trade might have been the first and Bedroom was a record that I had no knowledge of before reading their list. Just listen to those guitars that kick in around the 2-minute mark, that’s some pure Kitchens of Distinction / Ride heavenly shit going on right there. The whole record is really great too. The band are from Hull

 

19) Fuck Buttons – Colours Move: When I opened the mix with Jonathan Fitoussi I was immediately drawn to closing out the mix with a Fuck Buttons tune, I think I just wanted to bookend the mix with two extremes of the same genre. I’ve mentioned being lucky enough to see an act elsewhere on this mix, but seeing Fuck Buttons in 2013 was definitely an all-time high. I may have even used this tune on a mix over the years, this song closes out their 2008 debut Street Horrsing. 

 

Keep being safe!

 

As always, Peace and Love - Q 

Please note that the zip file has a password: QCOMPS.BLOGSPOT  
 Download mix from http://www.mediafire.com/file/szzgizr425oflj3/Q#134.zip/file

(not that the Fruit Bats song is not on Spotify)

Spotify link at end of notes, follow/subscribe to playlists here

No comments:

Post a Comment